3rd ESWC Summer School, Crete 2013
The ESWC Summer School 2013 will provide an opportunity for Master's and Ph.D. students in the area of the Semantic Web to learn the current key topics in the field from the leading researchers in the area. This summer school has been designed using experiences from the following:
- Over forty years of experience in distance education, learning and teaching from the Open University, and also the extensive research and teaching experience of the other involved universities (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Vrije University of Amsterdam, Southampton, Digital Enterprise Research Institute),
- Previous summer schools run within the OntoWeb, KnowledgeWeb and S-Cube networks of excellence,
- Events including summer schools run within STI International and SemSphere.
Based on the above the school will follow a number of principles:
- The school takes a participatory and hands on approach. That is in addition to theory and methodology within the school students will learn about and use state-of-the-art Semantic Web tools.
- Motivation is widely acknowledged to be a key component of successful learning and we will ensure that all student learning experiences are rewarding, engaging and fulfilling.
- Team working, communication and networking are a useful academic skills and the school will enable learning on these topics. We will also facilitate networking between students, tutors and invited speakers.
- The school is aligned with the ESWC conference ensuring that the emerging and next generation of organizers and contributors to the conference continues to grow and become encultured in the general Semantic Web community. This affects the scientific topics and structure of the summer school as well as the location and date of the event.
- The school is also synchronised with and leverages from other STI International and SemSphere training activities.
The school will cover the topics of:
- Web languages and Web scale reasoning
- Practical ontology engineering including repository alignment
- Linked Data publication and usage
- Semantic support for Web APIs and services
- Semantics and front ends
For more information please visit ESWC 2013 Summer School website.
Student Project Work
Award Ceremony and Closing