Lecture 2: Keaton
recorded by: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT
published: Oct. 10, 2008, recorded: September 2006, views: 4971
released under terms of: Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike (CC-BY-NC-SA)
Download slides: lecture_1_2_notes.pdf (63.2 KB)
Download mit21l011f07_thorburn_lec02_01.m4v (Video - generic video source 144.7 MB)
Download mit21l011f07_thorburn_lec02_01.rm (Video - generic video source 107.7 MB)
Download mit21l011f07_thorburn_lec02_01.flv (Video 184.0 MB)
Download mit21l011f07_thorburn_lec02_01_320x240_h264.mp4 (Video 194.9 MB)
Download mit21l011f07_thorburn_lec02_01.wmv (Video 580.5 MB)
Report a problem or upload filesIf you have found a problem with this lecture or would like to send us extra material, articles, exercises, etc., please use our ticket system to describe your request and upload the data.
Enter your e-mail into the 'Cc' field, and we will keep you updated with your request's status.
1. The Fred Ott Principle, continued
• The myth of technological determinism, A paradox: capitalism and the movies
2. The Great Train Robbery (1903)
3. The Lonedale Operator (1911)
4. Buster Keaton
• Acrobat / actor, Technician / director, Metaphysician / artist
5. The multiplicity principle: entertainment vs. art
6. The General (1927)
• "A culminating text", Structure, The Keaton hero: steadfast, muddling
Griffith , D.W. A Beast at Bay (view film)
Keaton, Buster. One Week (view film)
Keaton, Buster. Cops (view film)
Keaton, Buster. The General (view film)
Link this pageWould you like to put a link to this lecture on your homepage?
Go ahead! Copy the HTML snippet !